Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Review: Sweetbriar Cottage by Denise Hunter


3 Stars.
I've read several of Denise Hunter's novels and enjoyed them all, so I was looking forward to Sweetbriar Cottage, unfortunately I was a bit disappointed by this book. And I'm really not sure exactly why, I loved Noah and Josephine instantly, my heart went out to them and I was cheering for them throughout, but for some reason I kept feeling kind of bored with the story, and like it wasn't really holding my interest. 
This is a beautiful and powerful story of second chances and unconditional love, and it definitely had its moments that touched my heart, and in the latter half of the book there were some pretty high stakes which made the pages fly, but I'm afraid that this book just wasn't for me. Perhaps it was because I was expecting this story to rival Married til Monday as one of my all time favorite Denise Hunter books so I had set unfairly high expectations for Sweetbriar Cottage? Or perhaps it was because (at least in my personal opinion) this one is the most...I guess I would say passionate as far as the romance goes of all this author's books that I've read, this book is ultimately clean, but there were a few scenes that made me uncomfortable, which was a first for me with one of Denise's books, and while I think I understand why she made the choice to push the envelope a bit beyond what is my personal comfort zone, I must admit I was a tad disappointed by it. 
Denise Hunter is a tremendously talented author and I do genuinely love her books and look forward to reading more of her work in the future, Sweetbriar Cottage just wasn't the right fit for me personally, but I know lots of people have loved it so if it sounds like something you'd enjoy please don't take just my word for it.


I received a copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review nor I was compensated in any way for my opinion. All thoughts and opinions are one hundred percent my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment