Saturday, March 11, 2017

Review: Enjoy by Trillia Newbell


3 Stars!
I have some mixed feelings about this book, on one hand there were some excellent moments in which I was in some cases reminded of things in a slightly new way as well as times that certain things that I had read or heard over the years finally made sense to me in the way this author broke it down for the reader. But on the other hand I found myself often feeling like it was expected that I would have forgotten from one chapter to the next that the reason I enjoy God's gifts is out of love for him and all that He has done for me, in other words, enjoying all the good gifts from God is more about enjoying, worshiping and glorifying Him and growing in my relationship with Him rather than just focusing on the gifts themselves. This truth spoke to me deeply and blossomed in my heart the moment it was first written in this book, but I did get a bit frustrated that I kept being reminded of something that was already at the forefront of my mind and heart, something that I hadn't yet forgotten. I realize that perhaps this was because the book is designed to be read over a number of weeks, but since I got this title to review I ended up with only a couple days to read it. If I had the time to read it over a longer time span then I don't think I would have been at all frustrated with that bit of repetition because I realize it is necessary if you are only reading a chapter or so a week. I don't often read non-fiction, but when I do I personally prefer to get a conversational vibe from the author (even when discussing very important things) and while there were definitely moments in this book where I did feel like the author was using a conversational tone, there were unfortunately also times where I couldn't help but feel as those I was being talked at rather than to. 
Overall though I am glad I read this book and I do plan to re-read it in the future, perhaps reading just one particular chapter that speaks to my life at a certain time. I definitely did get a lot of positive information from this book that truly spoke to my heart and I do look forward to turning to it for reminders when I am in a place in life where the truth I know may feel out of reach. 
If this book sounds interesting to you then I do recommend you give it a try, but I would suggest reading one chapter a day or a week rather than all at once in order to give yourself time to reflect and soak in the truth presented in that chapter.


I received a copy of this book from the publisher. No review required. The above review is my honest opinion of this book. All thoughts and opinions are one hundred percent my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment