Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Review: Engraved on the Heart by Tara Johnson


3 Stars!
This is a very good debut novel! The author has immense talent, but unfortunately I just didn't really connect and engage with this book the way I had hoped, and I don't really know why. I did love main characters Keziah and Micah, and I especially loved Hiriam! 
I don't think I've ever before read a book where the main character has epilepsy, and I found it very interesting to read about in a historical novel and get a glimpse of how epilepsy was perceived by people in that time! This book is very historically accurate which makes it tough to read at times, because you know that innumerable African-Americans were denied freedom and  treated with unspeakable cruelty, but this book ultimately has an incredibly beautiful message. Even though this wasn't a favorite, I did still enjoy it and am very glad I read it! I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys realistic Civil War fiction, especially those who prefer a story that is lighter on the romance. Tara Johnson is a great writer, and I look forward to trying more of her work in the future.


I received a copy of this book from the publisher, which did not influence my review in any way. All thoughts and opinions are one hundred my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment